Know Your Options

If you've recently received a Notice of Denial, Automatic Withdrawal (AW), or Withdrawal on Notice (WON) from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) School Certification Unit (SCU) or SEVP Analysis and Operations Center (SAOC), you have several options:

  1. Appeal
  2. Motion to Reopen
  3. Motion to Reconsider
  4. A combination of Motion and Appeal

The decision letter from SCU or SAOC will outline the reasons for denial or withdrawal, your rights, and filing details, including deadlines. You can file both a motion and an appeal if you have appeal rights. The motion is reviewed by the official who made the initial decision, while the appeal is assessed independently. However, the motion and appeal are not processed simultaneously. If you choose both, the appeal is on hold until the motion's conclusion. Separate Forms I-290B must be submitted for each.

Please be aware that since June 24, 2019, there is a $675 fee for each Form I-290B filing. Payment should be made via, with proof of payment submitted alongside Form I-290B before the filing deadline. More details can be found on the Filing an Appeal or Motion- Pay Fees page.

Leave a comment!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *