While Your Green Card Application Is Pending with USCIS

If you've submitted a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and your case is currently pending with USCIS, here is important information to keep in mind. 

Updating Your Address with USCIS If you move to a new address, it's essential to update your address with USCIS within 10 days of your move. Failure to do so may result in missing critical notifications about your case. Note that changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not automatically update your address with USCIS. To learn how to update your address with USCIS, visit our Change of Address Information page. 

Case Processing Times You can find the average processing time for a specific USCIS office handling Form I-485 applications. Visit our USCIS Processing Time Information page for more details. 

If you've applied for an employment-based Green Card, additional information is available on our Immigration and Citizenship Data and Questions & Answers: Pending Employment-Based Form I-485 Inventory pages. 

Case Status Updates To check the status of your application, you can: 

  1. Visit our Case Status Online page and use your Form I-485 receipt number to access your case status. 
  2. Submit a case inquiry if you believe your application is outside the normal processing times. 
  3. Contact our USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283. For individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability: TTY 800-767-1833. 

If You Need to Travel If you must leave the United States temporarily while your Form I-485 is pending, please refer to the instructions for Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, for detailed information. Generally, departing the United States without an advance parole document while your Form I-485 is pending may lead to abandonment of your application. For further guidance, visit our Travel Documents page. 

Leave a comment!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *